Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
I can no longer dismiss the many requests I receive to post a healthy ice cream recipe — and why would I? It’s one of my favorite treats and there’s no safer way to eat it than to make it yourself. It’s much easier than some would think. So, it’s time to dust off those old wedding gifts or impulse buys and put them to use before the summer passes us by. I purchased my machine just a few weeks ago when I had a strong craving for ice cream. I decided against my favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavor and opted instead to do something much better for my body. Just the other day someone asked me if I had ever made avocado ice cream. I had never heard of it, so naturally, I wanted to know more. I did my research and sure enough, it’s possible! Most recipes called for milk, heavy cream & sugar to be added, which defeated the purpose of making healthy ice cream in my opinion. To remedy that, I made some alterations and came up with the recipe listed below. This was my first attempt and clearly, the flavor possibilities are endless. I look forward to trying more and sharing them with you as I do.
Yield 2 servings
- 1 can organic lite coconut milk
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 tsp (or a little more) pure peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup organic coconut sugar crystals or date sugar (found at Whole Foods or Chamberlins)
- stevia to taste
- a few fresh organic mint leaves
- organic dark chocolate (chips or bar, chopped)
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor and mix well.
- Pour ingredients into ice cream maker and follow instructions for maker.
- Top with dark chocolate or chocolate agave nectar.