Cucumber Quinoa Salad
I am continually looking for new ways to prepare quinoa because it is such a great source of protein. Remember, it’s not a grain, it’s a seed, and it’s a complete protein. Since it can stand alone at mealtime, it’s important (for me, anyway) to have variety. I saw this simple salad prepared on the food network and it was so easy to replicate. Of course, as I always encourage you to do, I gave it my own little twist — just slightly. It’s light, quick, and satisfying. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups water (or broth if you prefer)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed (or diced)
- 1/2 of a cucumber, seeded* and quartered
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBS olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- sea salt
- Add rinsed quinoa and garlic to water (or broth) and prepare according to package directions.
- In the meantime, prepare veggies. *If you choose to seed your cucumber, simply slice it down the middle and drag a teaspoon down the middle removing seeds.
- Combine cucumber, celery, cilantro, olive oil & lemon juice in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Allow quinoa to cool to desired temperature, then add to veggie mixture.
- Add sea salt as needed.